Costume Contest: Voting Now Open!

Our Costume Contest is now open for voting!

Just like last year, round one is a rating round. You have the opportunity to rate all entries with a "Yay" (aka a thumbs up if you like it) or a "Nay" (aka a thumbs down if you don't like it). The 75 pets with the highest cumulative ratings will move on to the next round, where normal voting resumes.

Also, if you rate all 224 entries this year, you'll get an extra bonus vote to use in round three, where the voting really counts!

And as a quick warning as in year's past, please only use one jnAccount to vote. Last year we had to disqualify a handful of people that made the contest unfair by voting on several accounts. :(

» Vote Now «

UPDATE: If you had trouble voting earlier, never fear! You should now be able to vote correctly. Any votes you cast earlier are safe, so you will not need to vote again.

dialasong, 10/8/2018, 9:52 am NST
Hey there! I'm having some issues with voting- it keeps showing me pets I already voted for, and then not letting me see any new ones. It doesn't let me vote again, which is good, but it displays an error message saying something like 'Your vote failed to go through' and then won't show me any new pet to vote for. I tried refreshing the voting page, but it keeps showing me the same pet. I don't know if this is just happening to me or not, but I'd love to vote for the rest of the entries this year!

ladyamethyst, 10/8/2018, 9:52 am NST
Having the same problem.

solsticesprite, 10/8/2018, 9:53 am NST
It is happening to me, too.

alienspacefairy, 10/8/2018, 9:54 am NST
It's happened to me too. So it's not just you dialasong it's probably a glitch of some sort. Hopefully they fix it soon .

bonju, 10/8/2018, 9:55 am NST
Omg the Robbie Rotten one is so good

dialasong, 10/8/2018, 10:11 am NST
That's good to know- I hope they fix it soon too, I'm looking through all the entries and there's so many good ones this year!!! I'm always so impressed by the costumes people manage to pull off- that Janet from the Good Place is absolutely getting a thumbs up from me, oh my gosh (so is the Crash Bandicoot, Robbie Rotten, and Gordon Ramsey, they're all instantly recognizable before you even read the description!!)

alienspacefairy, 10/8/2018, 10:19 am NST
I love the Gordon Ramsey one SO much!! I also like the polar bear and Minion. These are all really great!!

mavegibson, 10/8/2018, 10:44 am NST
I guess I'll have to come back later to vote, when the glitches are fixed.

invader_of_worlds, 10/8/2018, 10:44 am NST
I am getting voting glitches too..

1jediboy, 10/8/2018, 10:53 am NST
@Bonju - THERE’S A ROBBIE ROTTEN ONE!?!? Robbie Rotten died this year!

1jediboy, 10/8/2018, 10:54 am NST
May he rest in peach eating oversized blue cake in heaven! 🎂

zen, 10/8/2018, 11:33 am NST
Also getting the same glitch. :/

dave - JN Staff, 10/8/2018, 11:49 am NST
Thanks for the reports all! I'm seeing that several thousand votes have already been cast, so if you can vote, your votes are being saved. It just seems that some users are getting stuck on a pet they already voted for (which is blocked from allowing a vote again, hence the error messages you're seeing). I'm looking into this right now, apologies about the delays.

purplebin, 10/8/2018, 11:52 am NST
I should have checked here before voting, I'm getting stuck too.

dave - JN Staff, 10/8/2018, 11:56 am NST
Fix is live! There was just a small error in the code that was referencing last year's voting record instead of this year's (when finding you a new entry to vote on).

As far as I can tell, the errors you may have received are simply for entries you already voted on this year. You shouldn't see that happen anymore unless you try to go back and vote again. Votes you already cast are also all recorded, so you won't need to vote on anything again.

Thanks for your patience!

dialasong, 10/8/2018, 12:02 pm NST
Thank you so much, its working just fine for me now!

joe, 10/8/2018, 12:16 pm NST
hands down Robbie Rotten.. the Ariana Grande one was on point as well. and I really like the creativity of the "Halloween Door Decorating Contest"

mollyscribbles, 10/8/2018, 12:18 pm NST
*sigh* Every year, there's always a lot of costumes that are just what the wearable set specified it would be with little to make it distinct. Can there be a rule against Halloween Grundos dressed as the Grim Reaper?

The ones that really stood out for me: Dreamworks Logo, Coraline, Elvis, Gordon Ramsay, Student during midterms, iidosee's Mother of Dragons (I've seen her done before, but I don't recall seeing that take on her dragon), Robbie Rotten, Ranger_Jub's Vampire Slayer, Raggedy Ann, and Ferb.

1jediboy, 10/8/2018, 12:45 pm NST
I already cast a vote on the same one twice. Will that be rectified?

blastoise87blue, 10/8/2018, 12:52 pm NST
The Robbie rotten one was good

dave - JN Staff, 10/8/2018, 12:58 pm NST
@1jediboy: You did not, so no need to worry. There's nothing to rectify.

plushielynis, 10/8/2018, 1:00 pm NST
Stevie Nicks, Elvis, Gordon Ramsey, Janet and Daphne are my faves so far

mavegibson, 10/8/2018, 1:25 pm NST
@mollyscribbles

I agree, I think set costumes are rather boring, but likely those kinds of things won't make it past the first round. What bothers me more is that there is one costume that is nearly an exact replica of the winner from 2012. perhaps it was not intentional, but I'm surprised that made it through approvals.

anomally, 10/8/2018, 2:01 pm NST
So many awesome costumes! Much better than mine XD Though I tend to work with more than 5 NC lol.

Love the Adam Ruins Everything costume. And Robbie Rotten.

corruptions, 10/8/2018, 2:06 pm NST
There are a lot of good ideas there! It was fun to go through them all, and I can't wait to see who makes it to the next round.

And thanks so much for getting the problem fixed quickly!

marfbear, 10/8/2018, 2:40 pm NST
As usual, I had to look up SO MANY of them (but most of the time those turned out to be very well done representations of the character).

I have a request for participants - please wait until after the first day of voting to change your pet to another customization. I love looking up pets and seeing what items were used.

1jediboy, 10/8/2018, 2:59 pm NST
@anomally - Thank you! *beams with pride*

1jediboy, 10/8/2018, 3:10 pm NST
OMG! JOAN JETT!!! *screams frantically at concert*

1jediboy, 10/8/2018, 3:11 pm NST
And Gamora!

1jediboy, 10/8/2018, 3:27 pm NST
That feeling you get when you vote for one neopet and the next one that pops up has the same background as the previous and you can't NOT flip the pages back and forth making it look like an animated scene.

1jediboy, 10/8/2018, 3:34 pm NST
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!~!!!!!@!@!!!!@@
STEVIE NICKS!!!!!!111!!1!!!1111!!!!!! *starts crying from screaming so loud*

dave - JN Staff, 10/8/2018, 5:32 pm NST
@mollyscribbles @mavegibson I agree that premade outfits are generally less desirable. However, we have no plans to add rules to prevent submissions for that sort of thing. (It'd also be pretty hard enforce--especially if you want timely accepts/rejects.)

Back in the day, we used to be more selective in the costumes we accepted by only accepting a maximum of 150 per year. As a result, we definitely gave less freedom in terms of things like using premade costumes. However, the benefits to that system didn't seem to outweigh the cons, and we would always get many complaints when users didn't even make it into the first round. As mave pointed out, most of the low effort costumes generally get voted out in the first round due to voters like you who enforce those types of standards--and that's without us needing to arbitrarily pick the "best" 150 costumes.

dave - JN Staff, 10/8/2018, 5:34 pm NST
@marfbear: One of these years I want to save a list of items the pet is wearing so we can display that... need to make a lot of code updates to support that, though!

yellowbluerainbow, 10/8/2018, 5:37 pm NST
ahhh pajama sam! my childhood <3

invader_of_worlds, 10/8/2018, 5:51 pm NST
I hope I have a win some year, I dont think I will ever be creative enough.

tanziouz, 10/9/2018, 6:10 am NST
omg Sasquash is great

doomdesire5, 10/9/2018, 7:13 am NST
HAD to five a Yay to Synthaphone. I LOVE The Aquabats!

ladyamethyst, 10/9/2018, 9:26 am NST
You never know how someone else will interpret something. Protests have been around way, way longer than any of us have. I love the costume, it's one of my favorites this year.

purplebin, 10/9/2018, 1:48 pm NST
I love the Protest costume, but the expression did confuse me a bit, too.

cat, 10/9/2018, 10:53 pm NST
Finally finished, there were a lot of great costumes this year. The protest I felt did a good job of capturing how both sides see protesting, either as determined people trying to right wrongs or a deranged mob just looking for something to attack.

invader_of_worlds, 10/10/2018, 2:44 pm NST
I would like to see a full ban on anything political next year, or anything socially controversial. It gets ugly fast. This contest is meant to be fun. Please keep it that way.

sym0ny, 10/10/2018, 5:49 pm NST
Dang. Everyone is so butt-hurt these days. Come on. It's halloween. Everyone can dress whatever they want. You think vampires or werewolves have say when we stereotype them?

sym0ny, 10/10/2018, 6:03 pm NST
But seriously, banning anything political or socially controversial is just stupid. Costumes like these are actually the things that make the contest interesting. They are the ones we notice; the ones that win. We, being the people who grew up with neopets, we are already old. We are tired of seeing vampires or ghost. We want something different, timely and interesting. Besides, it's not like kids actually think of these issues as issues. It is just us.

1jediboy, 10/10/2018, 7:18 pm NST
"The key is for people to remain kind to each other and not make negative assumptions or accusations toward each other."

AAYYYYYY-MEN!

1jediboy, 10/10/2018, 7:38 pm NST
Tax impersonating Adam Con-ixi: Actually, political themes are a LOT broader than just the american government. It could ALSO refer to the public affairs of the country! It could be ANY subject from gender equality to race, religion or even ethnicity!
Me: *clears throat*
Tax: What?
Me: This is not the place to get into character, Tax.
Tax: Got it. *looks around* *walks up to someone across the room eating a hot dog* Hey there! Do you know how those things are made? It's REAL gross! Lemme tell you about it!
Me: *face in hands* (quietly): Please, Tax! T_T

1jediboy, 10/10/2018, 7:44 pm NST
I'm sorry. He gets very "in to character" when he's acting. *blushes*

morganjoisle, 10/10/2018, 8:56 pm NST
@invader_of_worlds: If they were going to do a ban on political costumes it probably should've been done after the uptick in 'em we had in 2016.

morganjoisle, 10/10/2018, 8:56 pm NST
Idk, always interesting to see the costumes, but I vote rather quickly. I only give "yay" if I want a costume to win first prize so I only gave out a couple dozen yays. lol

morganjoisle, 10/10/2018, 8:59 pm NST
@Dave: I love the newer "yay" or "nay" voting system. It makes me pay more attention to all the different costumes, even if I'm still a bit lazy about it. I also love the extra vote in the final round.

1jediboy, 10/10/2018, 9:06 pm NST
^I vote "yay" for nearly everyone!

beedeebee, 10/11/2018, 7:42 am NST
So many excellent ones!!! I'm still in the process of voting because I want to give everyone's efforts full attention. It's really fun to see what people have done with their pets this year. And absolutely thrilled to see bingoblee made it into the running!

dave - JN Staff, 10/11/2018, 9:35 am NST
A friendly reminder to all to keep things civil in the comments here. Ya'll are usually pretty excellent to each other, so let's keep it that way.

gamer_5_55_555, 10/12/2018, 10:46 pm NST
Some really good ones there! I mostly did a yay for those. The more stock costumes looked good but not that creative

• Curled Blue Wig Curly White Wig Bottled Candle Foreground